500gm rump steak
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 red capsicum
- 1/2 green capsicum
- 1/2 yellow capsicum
- 1 zucchini
- 2 tablespoons warmed honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Few drops sesame oil (optional)
- 1½ tablespoons lemon juice
1. Soak 8 wooden skewers in water for at least 1 hour to prevent them scorching, or use metal skewers.
2. Trim fat from steak and cut into 2cm cubes.
3. Cut onion into 2cm pieces. Cut capsicums into 2cm pieces. Cut zucchini into thick slices.
4. Thread meat onto skewers alternately with onion, capsicum and zucchini pieces.
5. Combine warmed honey with olive oil, sesame oil and lemon juice. Brush over kebabs.
6. Grill or barbeque the kebabs on a medium heat for 8 – 10 minutes. Turn them frequently and brush with the honey mixture.
7. Serve on a bed of cooked rice or couscous, with a lovely fresh garden salad.
- If cooking on the barbeque, make sure you heat it well before adding the kebabs.
- The kebabs can be made well ahead of time and stored in a sealed container in the fridge. However, remember to remove from the fridge in time to allow kebabs to return to room temperature before cooking.
- Experiment a bit by using button mushrooms, pickling onions, baby squash quarters, pineapple pieces, whole baby tomatoes or halloumi cheese pieces with the beef for different flavours and textures.